Mandatory Requirements for Scientific/Technical Publications per Contract with DOE
NOTE: We are required to submit the final preprint versions of papers accepted by journals to the DOE. Once your paper is accepted, please upload to this system, as a revised version, the final manuscript you sent to the journal. We cannot use the actual publisher’s copy that appears in the journal unless it was published Open Access
To distinguish it, please write “(accepted)” under the Fermilab report number on the title page.
DOE O 241.1B (Dec 13, 2010)
- Dissemination of Knowledge
- To fulfill Fermilab’s contractual requirements with DOE. The number of Scientific/Technical Publications published is listed in annual DOE scorecard reports. Scientific/Technical Publications are Fermilab’s end product
- FRA Employees – this includes Scientific/ Technical Publications that list FRA Employees on the author list
- Guest Scientists, Visitors, Users, and Members of a Collaboration, reporting work done using Fermilab facilities
All Theses and Scientific/Technical Publications written for external distribution
- Doctoral dissertations
- Scientific/Technical Publications
- Preprints intended for publication in a peer-reviewed journal
- Conference reports
- Technical memos documenting equipment or other technology
- Physics notes – short papers not intended for journals or conferences
- Posters and presentations/slides.
- Does not include internal notes.
- Request Publication Numbers & Submit Fermilab Publications
- Upload Thesis
- Proposals/Design Reports/Letters of Intent:
email pdf to email@example.com
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Technical Publications Training
This must be on all Scientific/Technical Publications: This manuscript has been authored by Fermi Research Alliance, LLC under Contract No. DE-AC02-07CH11359 with the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of High Energy Physics. The U.S. Government retains and the publisher, by accepting the article for publication, acknowledges that the U.S. Government retains a non-exclusive, paid-up, irrevocable, world-wide license to publish or reproduce the published form of this manuscript, or allow others to do so, for U.S. Government purposes.
(does not apply to theses)
- ORTA (patent) review: all papers.
- Scientific review: all papers except those of
- Particle Theory
- Astro Theory
- Accepted Manuscripts (Anything already accepted for publication by a journal. These have been through the journal’s refereeing process and are what DOE-OSTI wants us to submit to them – we do not want them having any changes).
- CMS papers (full collaboration)
- Design reports
- JACoW conference proceedings papers
- Major conferences papers such as ICHEP, CHEP, ASC, etc.
- Proceedings of Science papers
- If corrections are required by the Scientific/Technical Reviewer, assigned by Directorate based on the content of the Scientific/Technical Publication, these must be made and the Scientific/Technical Publication re‐
- If Scientific/Technical Publication is denied by the Scientific/Technical Reviewer, the author is If the author chooses to rewrite the Scientific/Technical Publication, it must be re‐uploaded and will be resubmitted to the Scientific/Technical Reviewer.
- Approved Scientific/Technical Publication is posted on Fermilab’s Technical Publications web
These papers come under the DOE and FRA classification of “work for hire” and all copyright forms must be signed by the Technical Publications Office.
Transfer of Copyright Agreement
‐ All Transfer of Copyright Agreements must be signed by the Fermilab Technical Publications Office. This is required by our contract with DOE and gives us the right to make the information contained in the Scientific/Technical Publication freely available on Fermilab’s Technical Publications web pages without breaking U.S. copyright laws.
‐ You must upload the Scientific/Technical Publication before the Transfer of Copyright Agreement can be signed.
‐ Transfer of Copyright Agreements are in two formats, either paper or electronic.
- Paper format ‐ Bring to Technical Publications OfficeWH3SW#358 for signature.
- Electronic format ‐ There is always a box to check that states you do not have authorization to sign. It will then ask you for name, title and email of person who does have the authorization to sign the form. Type the following information ‐ Kathryn Duerr, Technical Information & Records Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org 630‐840‐5693